Sunday, May 28, 2006

May 24, 2006 At Sea

We are making excellent time. Even on mediocre days we pull off 170 miles. The wind came up today and we have been flying under reefed sails. Could be a big 24 hours if my nerve holds out and I don't reef too much. We try to keep the boat moving as close to 8 knots as we can without going over 8.3 which is supposed to be hull speed. In reality the boat can and does exceed hull speed for short periods of time, a few seconds. I have seen over ten knots on the log.
I think we are experiencing about 20 knots of breeze with gusts maybe 5 knots higher. Not a lot of wind but more than we have been experiencing. It becomes challenging to cook supper and sleep well, but brings our destination closer and closer. We have talked of trying for a 200 mile day which would mean sailing at very nearly hull speed for 24 hours straight. I don't know about Alec but I'm realizing I'm getting a little too tired for that kind of fun.
It was hard for me to cook meals today. I couldn't seem to stay focused and it's hot below because the hatches and ports are closed to keep out the occasional splashes from the waves. When there is so much movement that things are flying off the galley counter in the rolls, I find myself getting a little annoyed. That means I'm tired. It looks like six more days to go to reach Hiva Oa in the Marquesas, 900 miles away.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paulo said...

Before applying for payday credits, we propose that you filter 5-6 organizations for the expenses they are charging. A few organizations offer payday advances with no charge for the primary week. cash advance

11:04 AM  
Blogger Paulo said...

On the off chance that you surmise that you're existing terms of your home credits have as of now get to be irrational and inadmissible, then the most brilliant arrangement is to renegotiate your lodging advance. cash advance

2:40 AM  
Blogger Paulo said...

Notwithstanding, loan fees from private monetary foundations have a tendency to vacillate and not settled. Private advances likewise have less adaptable payback choices and high charges and punishments. aaa1autotitleloans.com/chicago

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home